Thursday, October 20, 2011

Adventures in Fostering

Around the time I turned 30 I started fostering kitties as I felt the need to give back in some way plus I love animals.  At first I usually fostered just one or 2 cats/kittens at a time and eventually it turned into litters of kittens.  Over ten years later there have been many many kittens come through my door and I have loved every second of it.  I adopted my own 2 cats, Tigger and Tabitha, from Town Lake 4 years ago and 3 years ago respectively and they are great "foster parents".  I can only imagine what they are thinking when a new litter comes home-"oh no not again!"



I've had all kinds of kittens-terrified kitties, sickly kitties, crazy kitties and just plain love bugs and through it all I've managed to not adopt anymore but I have been tempted many times. I've even lost a few along the way and it's always heartbreaking but I keep on fostering.  I've mastered the neb box, administered all kinds of meds and eyedrops and just recently I had to force feed one of my kittens.

My one hope for each one of my "kids" is that they have as good or better home than I've given them and that they live long, happy lives like my own cat Magic who lived to be 22 years old. She's still the apple of my eye-RIP sweet girl.

I can't imagine fostering not being a part of my life and when someone asks me about it I'm always hoping to recruit another foster parent.  It's so rewarding to watch scared kittens come out of their shell and really blossom into great kitties.  Helping the sick ones overcome their illness and turn into wonderful kittens is also very gratifying.

I even created a Facebook Page to keep up with my little charges - Heathers Fabulous Foster Kittens

I still shed many tears each time my kitties are adopted or when I return them to the shelter to get adopted. I have been asked many times how do I give them up and  it's very hard every time.  A few tears is a small price to pay for saving the life of those that have no voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment