Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Volunteering - What it's all about!

I have been volunteering at Town Lake Animal Center for about two years now.  When I moved to Austin, not knowing anybody and with no job lined up, I thought volunteering would be an ideal way to fill my time, because I love animals, but can't have any at home.  I also thought I might make some friends with other volunteers.

 I loved taking the dogs out, but more than that I loved hanging around chatting to customers and helping them find the animal that was just right for them.  I hadn't really appreciated that one of the things I missed about working was this interaction with the public.  For me there was rarely a better feeling at the end of a shift than walking to the parking lot and seeing a family I had talked with taking a dog to it's forever home.

I have met lots of amazing volunteers and staff that I am delighted to now call friends, and I am looking forward to continuing to volunteer at the new shelter.  It feels so good to let a dog out of it's pen and give it some playtime and one-to-one interaction  But the most important thing for me has turned out to be getting involved in customer service and meeting the Austin residents who come in, sometimes just to look, and end up going home with a smile on their face and a new family member in their hearts.







Top 10 Reasons to Volunteer:
10. Something to do with that tired pair of sneakers and those old jeans (because you won't be wearing your Sunday best for this job!).
9. Puppy kisses :-b
8. A family of dedicated animal lovers volunteering and working alongside you to help save, shelter, and rehome animals in need.
7. Awesome stylish day-glow yellow t-shirts!!
6. The dogs and cats really need you & will benefit enormously from the time and attention you have to offer. You are their world.
5. Helping a customer find just the right new family member will make your whole week & fill your heart with love.
4. All the hand sanitizer you could ever want.
3. The moment a new dog looks at you with trust and confidence never gets old.
2. Gorgeous pitbull smiles :-) 
1. Most Importantly, because no-kill takes a lot of work and it'll only stay a reality in Austin if everyone does their share to help!
Become a Town Lake Animal Center volunteer today!

No comments:

Post a Comment