Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Blog within a Blog with in a blog . . . .

On June 6th, I embarked on a new adventure, and brought home my first foster cats: a mom and her two tiny 3-week old kittens. Today is the 100th day of my adventure.
Royal A606710
I am finding this work richly rewarding. It’s not a huge, overwhelming kind of emotion, but it goes deep, deep into my heart. To see the kittens eat their first solid meal, and learn to clean themselves; to see mama cat finally regain her appetite and eat; to see Charlie’s first tentative playful jumps and Bravo’s bravery at climbing anything and everything: it all makes me feel like I’m really making a difference, and doing some incontrovertible good in this world. It’s worth all the trouble, all the messes to clean up, all the worry and inconvenience, the schedule disruptions… all that melts away in the pure joy of helping a little creature who needs your love. Please consider fostering pets. You won’t regret it, and it’s food for your soul.
My first adoption: Bravo and her new family
It was difficult coming to terms with the reality that these guys really go to their forever homes. It’s a heartwarming and heartbreaking moment for sure. I just have to keep reminding myself: I’m not ready for pet ownership myself right now, and when I let these guys go, that will make room for me to help my next set of fosters—and that, along with doing the Hokey Pokey, is what it’s all about.
Wherever my fosters end up, my love will follow them for all of their days. May they be long, prosperous, and full of joy.
Alpha and family

No comments:

Post a Comment