Tuesday, September 13, 2011

TLAC Volunteer AND Foster Mom - DOUBLE the FUN!

On February 14, 1995 I left the East Valley Shelter in Los Angeles with what turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made – adopting Murphy a 2 year old Border Collie mix.  Murphy was the best dog I’ve ever had and was loved by everyone who met him.  In February 2006, he made the big move with me to Austin along with Tess, the Papillon and Josie the pussycat (yes, you can move out of state and take your pets…just saying)!  At the age of 17, he left me to cross the Rainbow Bridge and my heart was broken. 

Murphy and Tess

I wondered what I might do to honor Murphy and I decided to become a TLAC volunteer to help other shelter dogs like Murphy find their furever homes.  Shortly after completing orientation I received an email from someone named Sarah.  She told the story of Trixie, a terrier mix that had come into the shelter as a stray on September 11, 2010 and gave birth to 7 puppies on September 12th. Sarah said these puppies need to get outta here!  I thought, I have a spare room, I can do this.  So the next thing you know I’ve got a momma and seven pups riding home in the car.


Trixie, Momma to my forst foster litter


Since then, I’ve had a Chi-mix and her tiny baby, 2 shepherd pups, a litter of 9 shepherd mixes and 4 Kittens – just to change things up a bit. I currently am fostering Gus, a 10 year old Basset Hound.  He’s available if anyone is looking for some adorableness to add to their lives.


PUPPIES!

Kitten!




Puppies!!
Louie the Chi Puppy!
In between litters, I walk the dogs at the shelter and help customers find their new family members.  I recently had the opportunity to work with Rafael (along with many other awesome volunteers) a terrified Rottweiler.  Because of the dedicated work of the volunteers and the TLAC staff, Rafael is now in a wonderful home with a female Rottie as his new best friend.

I can’t think of a better way to honor the life of one very special shelter dog.  Rest in Peace my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment