Thursday, September 29, 2011

A rescue is born!

It was June, 1997, the day after a devastating F-5 tornado, when a dazed, bedraggled, and disoriented Rottweiler stumbled toward me out of the woods.  Having recently purchased a new house, my friends all encouraged me to take this wonderful girl home. Instead, however, I imagined some desperate child searching for his lost companion and contacted Town Lake to pick her up.

This sweet and trusting creature had quickly found a place in my heart and later the same day I submitted an application to our shelter to adopt her, should her owner not come forward. Every day I visited her, waiting until I would be able to take her home. On the last day before she would be available for adoption her owner did appear, and told the shelter staff her name, Katy, and promised to return with the funds to spring her from her kennel prison. Four more days the shelter staff and I waited anxiously for his return. He did not come; he did not return telephone calls. On the fifth day, I became the proud owner of my very first Rottweiler, and my first dog in 20 years.

I became involved with rescue shortly thereafter, realizing for the first time the plight of companion animals, particularly Rottweilers, in our society, the incredible perception of disposability of life and was appalled. In Katy's honor, Katy's Promise Rottweiler Rescue began, promising a future of love and uncompromising commitment to abandoned, neglected and abused Rottweilers.




Our rescue focuses on young dogs and puppies, often dumped in shelters and on the streets, unwanted by their indiscriminate breeders.  Often very ill, these new lives are nurtured in a home setting, provided extensive medical care and socialization with other animals and people of all ages.  Only when they are physically and emotionally prepared for their new lives, fully vaccinated and altered, are they offered for placement with exceptional families.




In Katy's name we give highly individualized care to a small number of Rottweilers in an effort to change lives and change public perception just one Rottweiler at a time.


Beloved Katy


In September, 2008, just a few months shy of her 15th birthday, Katy lost her battle with liver failure.  Rest easy my sweet Kate.  You changed my life and taught me how to be a better person.  You are forever in my heart.

--
Toni Liguori
KPRR
Austin, Texas
www.kprr.rescuegroups.org

No comments:

Post a Comment