Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bunker's Amazing Story!

I became a first time adopter from TLAC this year as just before Christmas, 2010, I lost my 8 year old husky.  Friends and family encouraged me to wait and grieve, enjoy the freedom of sleeping in mornings and my time being my own.  Admittedly, I was enjoying it, but after a couple months passed decided it was time.  Initially I was overwhelmed with options, between TLAC, APA, AHS, breed specific rescues, etc.  Decided to focus on TLAC and had many fits and starts where I think the TLAC adoption counselors thought I was incapable of making a decision or not serious, but they were so patient, answered my multiple calls and emails, never made me feel bad for putting a hold on a dog, then releasing it, and so on.  Throughout several weeks of almost daily visits, there was a German shepherd mix in an adoption kennel that seemed hopeful but used to being ignored.  The kennel info sheet might have scared people off; he was a 5+ year old stray, heartworm positive, intact, in dire need of a dental, with a nasty case of hookworm.  The adoption counselors told me that he hadn’t had any interest after a month in the shelter; volunteers said he was the kind of dog often unnoticed since he was a little bigger, a little older and looks like lots of other mutts.  
I felt sorry for him and would take him out during my walkabouts but never really gave him serious consideration.   Then one day I visited and there was a different dog in the kennel; turns out he had been moved to quarantine due to kennel cough.  Poor dog couldn’t seem to catch a break and I decided he just might be the one.  So, after a few more fits and starts and a terrific evaluation by a canine behaviorist, Bunker, formerly Gabriel, A591920, came to his forever home.  It’s now been almost 6 months.  He’s healthy, happy and thanks to the great programs at ATA, has successfully completed heartworm treatment and teeth that once told a story of a tough life are now pearly white.  Bunker's new life is outings to dog parks and pet friendly stores, the occasional day at the office and this Christmas he'll get to experience winter in New England. A member of an informal neighborhood dog group, he's becoming Mr. Social and is a fixture in our living room window seat ,  with  his canine buddies coming  to the window or door to greet and rub noses as they walk by the house with their owners.   While every now and again there seems to be a little bit of inner turmoil of to run or not to run when he's had the unplanned opportunity, something click that regular meals, soft beds, treats, and belly rubs are much nicer than living as a stray. This is definitely an adoption success story and we both thank TLAC for all they do for the animals of Austin!



No comments:

Post a Comment