Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Volunteering Changes Lives!

I began actively volunteering at TLAC almost four years ago because I lived in a tiny apartment that didn't allow dogs and I was desperate for a "canine fix". Volunteering has been such positive experience for me despite the fact that my heart was badly broken twice when dogs I'd fallen in love with were euthanized. People always ask how I can volunteer at the shelter and not be totally depressed. I tell them that for many animals, the shelter is the best life they have ever known - consistent meals, humans being kind to them and (FREE=) health care. After a tough day on the job, nothing beats hanging out with adorable animals who desperately want your attention. I have volunteered with aid organizations in many developing nations and can honestly say I have never felt as needed or useful during my many volunteer experiences as I have at TLAC.

Taking TLAC's Trail Dogs on runs around the lake is the main reason I have now run two marathons! Helping the pups burn off excess energy motivated me to keep running for far longer than I was naturally inclined, so I owe my marathoning to them.


"JR", adopted from TLAC!


In November I finally succumbed to the charm of a shelter pit bull mix and adopted him. I am an extremely satisfied customer!

(The attached photo is a picture of TLAC alum Lizzie and I after a run).

No comments:

Post a Comment