Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Making it up for Tubbs

Tubbs became my dog when he was hit by a car and his owner decided that they did not want to pay for his medical care.  I begged my sister to help me take Tubbs to the vet and with her support Tubbs was all fixed up and mine from then on. 
As a student working for pennies it took me months to save up for his first vet exam. Having no previous pet owning experience I had never even heard of heartworms and of course Tubbs had them.  I was angry, sad, embarrassed and guilty all at once because there was no way I would be able to pay for the treatment.  Every time he would look up at me so sweetly I’d apologize to him in my head for not being able to do more than hope that he would be negative within a year of dosing heartworm prevention.  In the face of his fight with heartworms, at age 8 Tubbs was diagnosed with stage V lymphoma. All I could do at that point was give him steroids. Although difficult, I will always be grateful for that last week I got to spend with him. 
I can't explain how hard it was for me to say goodbye.  My gut gets tight even now as I write about it.  He brought so much happiness to my life and all I could do was hope that my best efforts as pet parent were enough to return the favor.  I told him as he lay motionless on the floor that I would be a better pet owner the next time around.  I promised him…

That was 6 years ago.  Making good on my promise to him I started by working at a non-profit vet clinic where I learned a lot more about proper medical care for pets.  I regularly fostered and still do.  I adopted both of my dogs Betty and Lala, and I am proud to report that they are happy and healthy.  I’ve even used Big Betty as an education tool for a classroom full of 3rd grade Brownies.  Thanks to her they now know that adoption means saving a life and heartworm prevention/testing is vital. 

Here I am now, currently working at TLAC.  Despite being one of the most difficult jobs I have ever had, I love what I do.  I am proud to be here in Austin where we are making a true effort to become a no-kill city.  The goal itself seemed impossible just a couple years ago.  With grand efforts by those in the animal welfare community and the hard work of shelter staff I see a light at the end of this tunnel.  Until then, I am still here making it up for Tubbs.  I began working in animal welfare because of him.  Who knew it would become something that fit me so perfectly? Maybe he did.

Thank you to my Bubbahs for helping me become a better pet owner and an animal advocate.  Love ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment