Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The foster speaks . . .

This summer I adopted my first dog from TLAC.  While I was there, I picked up a “Keep Austin No-Kill” bumper sticker.  I decided that I would join TLAC’s foster program in order to help keep Austin no-kill.  Shortly after I completed my foster application, I signed up for the Project Starfish list-serve.  Within a few days, there was an announcement about a feline family of six who needed out of the shelter.
Of course I got them!  When I picked them up, TLAC loaned me a crate, gave me food, instructions and meds.  I was immediately thanked for fostering by wonderful Sarah Hammond, the foster coordinator.  The feline family had kitty colds and eye gook and were they were shy and/or spitting at me.  I had to administer meds and food so in no time, momma (Sydney) and three of the kittens came around.  They were so stuffed up they needed to be nebulized a couple times a day.  I moved the “friendlies” from the bathroom to the guest room.  The two kittens that were still shy got hand fed chicken flavored baby food 4-5 times a day.  Within 2-3 days, these two were also ready to move to the bedroom.  It was time for the fun begin.
The family was now well enough to begin rough-housing.  It had been a while since I had kittens and having a whole litter of kittens was really fun.  Play, eat, play, play, sleep.  They kept resting and recovering and eventually they weighed 2 lbs.  Uh-oh!  It was time to get fixed at Emancipet and get ready for Kitty Palooza.  Everyone came through and got shiny new collars.  The kittens were playing within a day.  Why did I ever worry about them?  Emancipet did a side-spay since Sydney was still nursing.  Who knew?  Sydney chewed through her stitches and needed surgery again the next day.  She got sent home with an e-collar, causing her to freak out and run into furniture.  Eventually, momma calmed down, wore her e-collar like a good kitty and learned to cope. 









Back to kittens!  It was time to get them to Kitty Palooza for adoption.  I was a little sad.  However, I figured it was part of my job description to get them healthy and adopted.  Day one, saw three of MY kittens to their new homes.  Day two, MY only boy got adopted, and later, I was there to witness MY favorite kitten (that I was secretly hoping wouldn’t get adopted) go home with a wonderful family with three daughters.   I left my crate at the shelter and went home to focus on momma.  



Sydney ate, came out for pets, but mainly slept for two days straight!  I guess having five kittens is tiring.  I took some pictures and posted a listing on Craigslist.  I posted three times and weeded out some responders.  Eventually, I got a really solid introduction from a person who introduced me to herself and her furry family.  I asked for references.  Everything checked out!  We made an appt. for a meet and greet and even though Sydney was shy, the adopter was still interested.  Kathy, the new mom, made an appt. to pick up Sydney on Friday after work.  Since then, I have had many updates from Kathy and Whimsy, a.k.a. Sydney.  It is great to know that Whimsy is in a great home and that she is loved.
The new mom speaks:   
I have always been involved in rescue and several of my pets have come from TLAC. So it was natural that I would turn there when looking for a new family member.  I love the Manx look and personality.  I fell in love with Syndey, now Whimsy, when I read about her on Craigslist.  Like so many, she became a mom too young, and then all her kittens got adopted, leaving her waiting.  I prefer adopting adult animals.   I corresponded with her foster mom, went over to meet her, was totally smitten, and arranged to pick her upon a Friday.   It has almost been too good to be true. Her laid back personality made it easy for her to blend right in with my 4 small dogs, and two cats.   She is very loving and follows me around like a dog, a classical Manx trait. We will never know how she ended up at the shelter, but it was very fortunate for my family that she did.   I look forward to years of companionship with her.



Written by Emily Wilson and Kathy Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment